When pale red tomatoes of winter give way to local hothouse tomatoes, celebrate with a simple tomato salad. Balsamic vinegar is aged much like wine and its smooth flavor will bring out the full taste of the tomatoes.
Sliced tomatoes with balsamic vinaigrette
This article has not been rated yet.
4 to 6 servings
- 4 large tomatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil , preferable extra-virgin
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- pinch salt
- pinch fresh-ground black pepper
- sprinkling coarsely chopped fresh basil
- Slice tomatoes about 1/2 inch (1 cm) thick. Arrange on a shallow plate, overlapping slices slightly.
- Whisk oil with vinegar, salt and pepper. Just before serving, drizzle over tomatoes and sprinkle with basil.
- This salad is wonderful served with grilled chicken or fish. To make it more substantial, crumble feta or goat cheese overtop, or sprinkle with Parmesan.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 1 g,
- 5.8 g,
- 4.9 g,