Your guests will have a howl of a time with these ghoulish treats.
Mummy and ghost cookies
This article has not been rated yet.
- 440-g pkg chocolate-chunk brownie mix
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder , optional
- 1 egg , lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 450-g container vanilla frosting
- 1 tbsp mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Pour brownie mix into a large bowl. For a more chocolatey flavour, stir in cocoa powder. Using a wooden spoon, stir in egg and water until mixture is smooth and all lumps are gone. Stir in flour, 1/4 cup (50 mL) at a time, mixing well after each addition and adding just enough flour so that batter is quite stiff, like dough. Depending on brownie mix, you may not need last 1/4 cup (50 mL) flour.
- For mummy’s body, roll 1 rounded tbsp (18 mL) dough into a 3-1/2-inch-(9-cm-) long carrot shape. For head, roll 1 rounded tsp (7 mL) dough into a grape shape, then press onto wide end of mummy’s body. Place on a greased cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining dough, leaving at least a 1-inch (2.5-cm) space between shapes.
- For ghosts, roll 1 rounded tbsp (18 mL) dough into a ball, place on a greased cookie sheet and gently flatten. Using your thumb and index finger, shape into a triangle. For head, roll 1 rounded tsp (7 mL) dough into a ball and place on tip of triangle, press down and seal head to body. Repeat until all dough is used up. Bake in centre of 350F (180C) oven until cookies feel firm to the touch, from 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately place cookies on a cooling rack. Cookies will be cracked a little, but will be covered in frosting. When cool, for mummies, spread 1-1/2 tablespoons (22 mL) frosting over each cookie.
- To create a “bandage” effect, swirl your finger or a toothpick through frosting, moving left to right, starting at head and moving toward bottom. Use chocolate chips for eyes. For ghosts, slightly melt 1 cup (250 mL) frosting in a microwave on high for 20 to 30 seconds, then spread over entire surface of cookie. This will give a glossy effect and a ghostly shimmer.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 2.3 g,
- 44.9 g,
- 8.9 g,
- 0.2 g,