Lemony goat-cheese-stuffed artichokes
This article has not been rated yet.
Photo, Roberto Caruso.
Creamy on the inside, crispy on the outside, this spring favourite is a mouth-wateringly delicious starter-course.
, about 225 g each
- LINE a baking sheet with foil.
- TRIM and lightly peel stems of artichokes. (Do not cut off stems.) Discard any small discoloured leaves around base of the stem. Cut 1 in. off tops of artichokes using a serrated knife. Using clean kitchen scissors, cut 1/4 in. off tips of spiky leaves around artichokes. Slice each artichoke in half lengthwise. Using a melon baller, scoop out the chokes. Discard any spiky inner leaves. Brush cut edges immediately with lemon juice to prevent browning.
- POUR water into a large pot until it reaches 1 in. up the sides. Boil over high, then add artichokes, cut-side up. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, fl ipping halfway through, until tender, 12 to 15 min. Drain well.
- PREHEAT broiler.
- MASH goat cheese with mint, basil and lemon zest in a small bowl until smooth. Season with fresh pepper.
- WHIRL bread in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. It should measure 1/2 cup. Transfer to a small bowl. Stir in 1 tbsp butter until crumbs are moist.
- ARRANGE artichokes, cut-side up, on prepared sheet. Brush with remaining 1 tbsp butter. Sprinkle with salt. Season with fresh pepper. Divide goat cheese mixture among artichokes. Sprinkle evenly with bread crumb mixture.
- BROIL in centre of oven until tops are golden, about 1 min. Serve warm.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 8 g,
- 8 g,
- 13 g,
- 2 g,
- 373 mg.
- Good source of
- Vitamin A