Lebanese-style turnip and beet picklesBy Chatelaine
- 3 cups water
- 1/3 cup kosher salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 kg turnips , peeled and cut into french-fry sticks
- 1 small beet , peeled and cut into french fry sticks
- 4 garlic cloves , thinly sliced
- 1 red-hot chili , pepper halved and seeds discarded
- COMBINE cup water with salt and bay leaves in a medium saucepan. Boil until salt is dissolved, min. Cool. Add remaining cups water and vinegar.
- PACK turnips, beet, garlic and chili pepper into clean large glass jars. Pour brine over vegetables, leaving 1/2-in. headspace in jars. Cover with lids and refrigerate. Serve after 1 day.
Nutrition (per ¼ cup)
- 1 g,
- 4 g,
- 1 g,
- 771 mg.