Fresh figs are sold in most grocery stores this time of year. In this salad, their flavour is deliciously set off by salty prosciutto and a rich, creamy Stilton dressing. Look for soft plump figs with firm stems. Figs bruise easily, so bag your own at the checkout.
This article has not been rated yet.
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp red or white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp dried basil leaves
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup crumbled Stilton , or blue cheese
- 1 small head Boston lettuce
- 4 large ripe fresh figs
- 4 slices prosciutto
- 1 ripe pear
- 1 green onion
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts , optional
- For dressing, in a medium-size microwave-safe bowl or measuring cup, whisk oil with vinegar, basil and pepper. Microwave on high, uncovered, just until warm, about 45 seconds. Or heat in a small saucepan over medium heat 2 minutes. Whisk in Stilton until melted. Use right away or cover and refrigerate up to 3 days. Before using, bring to room temperature or microwave just until warm.
- Wash and dry lettuce leaves. Keep leaves whole. Slice stem tips from figs, then cut each fig in half. Slice prosciutto pieces in half lengthwise. Wrap one strip around middle of each fig half. Cut pear into quarters and slice out core, then slice into thin wedges. Thinly slice green onion diagonally. Arrange a few lettuce leaves on 4 salad plates. Place 2 fig halves on each, along with a few pear wedges and green onion. Drizzle with warm dressing. Sprinkle with pine nuts.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 6.2 g,
- 20.2 g,
- 24.9 g,
- 249 mg.