Coconut apricot icebox cookies
* PLUS Refrigeration Time: 60 minutes, Baking Time: 8 minutes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter , at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups sweetened dessicated coconut
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped dried mango or apricots
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped macademia nuts, hazelnuts or almonds
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C). In a medium bowl, stir flour with baking powder and salt until evenly mixed. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium, beat butter with granulated sugar at least 2 min. Beat in egg, scraping down side of bowl as necessary. On low speed or using a wooden spoon, gradually stir flour mixture into butter mixture until evenly mixed. Overmixing will toughen cookies. Stir in coconut, apricots and almonds. Divide dough into 4 portions. Shape each into a rectangular or round log about 6 in. (15 cm) long and 11/4 in. (3 cm) wide. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour or up to 1 week. Or seal in a plastic bag and freeze up to 1 month.
- To bake, remove wrapped logs from refrigerator and let stand at room temperature about 15 min so they’re easier to slice. Preheat oven to 350F (180C). With a serrated knife, using a gentle sawing motion, slice into rectangles or rounds about ? in. (0.8 cm) thick. Spread slices out on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake in centre of oven until cookie edges are lightly browned, from 8 to 10 min. Remove cookies to a rack to cool completely. Then repeat with remaining dough. Cookies will keep well stored in an airtight container in a cool place or in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks or in the freezer up to 1 month.