Cauliflower picklesBy Chatelaine
6 500-mL jars
Serve with cheese and charcuterie or alongside burgers or roast pork.
- 4 cups granulated sugar
- 4 cups white vinegar
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups thinly sliced red onion , about 2 small onions
- 2 tbsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp celery seeds
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 12 cups cauliflower florets , about 2 small heads
- 6 500-mL Mason jars
- FILL a canner with water, leaving a 2-in. headspace. Boil over high.
- COMBINE sugar with vinegar, water, onions, mustard and celery seeds, salt and turmeric in a large pot over high. Boil for 5 min. Reduce heat to low to keep warm.
- BOIL a large pot of water. Add cauliflower. Boil until tender, 6 min. Scoop out with a slotted spoon and pack into hot, clean Mason jars. Ladle hot vinegar mixture over cauliflower, leaving a 1/2-in. space at the top of each jar. Stir each jar with a non-metallic utensil to remove air bubbles. Wipe rims clean with damp paper towel, then cover with lids. Close with screw band.
- ADD jars to boiling water in canner, ensuring that they are covered by at least 2 in. of water. Bring to a rolling boil, then process, covered, for 15 min. Turn off heat, remove canner lid and let stand, 5 min. Remove jars and cool. Check for seal after 24 hours. Lids should not flex up and down when centre is pressed. If they do, store in the fridge. Processed jars keep well up at room temperature for up to 1 year.
Nutrition (per ¼ cup)
- 1 g,
- 10 g,
- 1 g,
- 26 mg.