Just like popular cappuccino coffee topped with foamed milk, these fudge chocolate brownies are crowned with a creamy white frosting and dusting of cinnamon.
This article has not been rated yet.
- 4 squares unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 tsp instant coffee granules , not ground coffee
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs , beaten
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk chocolate , or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped hazelnuts , pecans or walnuts, preferably toasted (optional)
- 125-g pkg cream cheese , about 1/2 cup, at room temperature
- 2 cups sifted icing sugar
- 2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 325 F (160 C). Grease an 8×8-inch (2-L) pan or coat with cooking spray. Coarsely chop unsweetened chocolate. Combine with butter in a small saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring often, until chocolate is melted, about 10 minutes. Then, pour into a large bowl. Or, combine chocolate and butter in a large microwave-safe bowl and microwave on medium, uncovered, for 2 to 3 minutes or until almost completely melted. Then, stir until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Stir in instant coffee powder.
- Cool chocolate until lukewarm, then stir in granulated sugar, followed by beaten eggs, vanilla and salt. Gradually stir flour into chocolate mixture. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts, if using. Spread mixture evenly in pan.
- Bake in centre of 325 F (160 C) oven just until centre is slightly puffed and brownies start to come away from sides of pan, about 40 minutes. Do not overbake. Place pan on a rack to cool completely before icing.
- To make icing, place cream cheese in a small mixing bowl. Beat with a wooden spoon or electric mixer until smooth. Gradually beat in 1 cup icing sugar, stirring until mixed. Stir in lemon juice and vanilla. Gradually stir in remaining 1 cup icing sugar, beating until smooth. Spread overtop of cooled brownies, swirling slightly. Using your fingers, dust pinches of cinnamon overtop. Tightly wrapped, brownies will keep well in the refrigerator for at least 3 days and can also be frozen.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 4 g,
- 38.7 g,
- 16.7 g,