Imagine delicious fajitas reinvented as a stew. Chicken and colourful peppers are simmered in spiced-up salsa in a slow cooker. Spoon into bowls and serve with tortillas or wrap in flavoured tortillas and dip into sauce.
Slow cooker fajita chicken
10 cups (2.5 L)
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 green bell peppers
- 2 jalapenos , or 2 tbsp chopped pickled jalapeno peppers (optional)
- 35-g pkg fajita seasoning mix , or taco seasoning mix
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 430-mL jar chunky salsa , about 1 3/4 cups
- toppings , such as sour cream, grated cheddar, sliced green onions and chopped fresh coriander (all optional)
- Slice chicken into thick strips. Core and seed peppers. Thinly slice. Seed and finely chop jalapenos. Place all in bowl of a slow cooker. Sprinkle with seasoning and flour, then stir to evenly mix. Stir in salsa. Cover and cook on high setting 4 hours or low setting 6 hours.
- Spoon fajita mixture into bowls. Top with sour cream. Sprinkle with cheese, onions and coriander. Great with warm tortillas for dunking or wrapping. Chicken keeps well, covered and refrigerated, up to 3 days or freeze up to 2 months. Defrost and reheat in the microwave. Or place in a saucepan with a little water to prevent burning. Stir often over medium-low heat.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 19.7 g,
- 9.7 g,
- 1.6 g,
- 1.5 g,
- 364 mg.