Easy 'n' updated pot roast
This article has not been rated yet.
4 to 6 servings
- 1 to 1.5 kg blade or cross rib pot roast , s
- 2 tbsp steak spice
- 1 cup tomato juice , or red wine
- 284-mL can undiluted beef broth
- 2 large carrots
- 2 large potatoes
- 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme , or oregano leaves (optional)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Pat meat dry with paper towels. Place in bowl of a large slow cooker. Rub steak spice all over meat, turning to evenly coat. Pour tomato juice and broth around meat. Cover and cook on high setting 6 to 7 hours or low setting 8 to 10 hours, until tender. Turn meat halfway through. Meanwhile, slice carrots in half lengthwise, then into 1-inch (2.5-cm) pieces. Slice unpeeled potatoes into wedges. Add to slow cooker, submerging in liquid, for last hour of cooking.
- Then remove meat and veggies to a platter and cover with foil to keep warm. To thicken cooking liquid, pour all liquid from slow cooker into a large saucepan. Skim off and discard fat. Add thyme. Bring to a boil over high heat. In a small bowl, whisk cornstarch with water until smooth. Slowly whisk into pan juices. Stir often until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Taste and add salt and pepper, if needed. Slice meat and serve with veggies and gravy. Cover and refrigerate any leftovers up to 3 days. Store sauce in a separate container. Leftovers make great hot beef sandwiches for lunch the next day.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 23.2 g,
- 19.7 g,
- 8.8 g,
- 2.3 g,
- 231 mg.