Savoury Cheese SouffleBy Chatelaine
4 to 6
Soufflés don't have to be intimidating to make. With our step-by-step guidance, you're on your way to making a decadent show-stopper.
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour , plus 1 tbsp for baking dish
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 eggs , separated
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 cup coarsely grated gruyère
- 1 tsp finely chopped parsley , optional
- Position rack in bottom of oven, then preheat to 400F. Spray the inside of a 1-L soufflé dish (or 6-in.-wide x 3-in.-high cake pan) with oil, then sprinkle over 1 tbsp flour. Tilt to cover bottom and sides. Flip upside down over a sink to release excess flour. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour. Whisk continuously until mixture turns foamy and begins to bubble, 2 to 3 min. Gradually whisk in milk. Increase heat to medium. Whisk continuously until sauce thickens to a pudding-like consistency and bubbles, 3 to 4 min. Whisk in Dijon and salt. Season with pepper. Scrape milk mixture into a large bowl and set aside to cool slightly, 10 min.
- Meanwhile, beat egg whites with cream of tartar in a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium-high, until stiff, about 3 min.
- Set chilled soufflé dish on a baking sheet. Stir yolks into milk mixture until combined. Stir in cheese. Gently fold one-third of egg white mixture into milk mixture, then remaining egg whites. Mixture should be fluffy. Carefully scrape soufflé mixture into chilled dish.
- Bake soufflé on bottom rack until puffed and dark golden on top, 25 to 30 min. Carefully remove from oven. Sprinkle with parsley. Scoop soufflé with a serving spoon and serve immediately. (Once you dig into the soufflé, it will deflate very quickly.)
- Egg whites are hard to whip if there are traces of butter or oil in the bowl or on beaters. Make sure they’re clean.
Angle and turn the bowl while flouring to ensure an even coat, and toss out any excess. This non-stick surface helps the soufflé rise.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 22 g,
- 52 g,
- 19 g,
- 2 g,
- 580 mg.