Roasted rainbow trout with prune-mushroom sauce
- 4 tsp safflower oil
- 1 small onion , chopped
- 1 small carrot , finely chopped
- 1 cup button mushrooms , coarsely chopped
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2/3 cup prune juice
- 1/2 cup pitted prunes , coarsely chopped
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme leaves , or 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 4 fresh skin-on rainbow trout fillets , about 250g each
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Position oven rack in top third of oven. Preheat oven to 450F. Heat a pasta pot over medium. Add 2 tsp oil, then onion, carrot and mushrooms. Cook until onion starts to turn dark golden, 5 min. Add broth, juice, prunes, vinegar, tomato paste, garlic and thyme. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium. Gently boil, uncovered, about 10 min, until thickened. Press sauce through a fine sieve into a small bowl. Season with salt and a pinch of pepper.
- Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment or foil. Arrange fish in one layer, skin-side down, on parchment. Brush with remaining 2 tsp oil. Roast in top third of oven until a knife tip inserted into the thickest part of fish and held for 10 sec comes out warm, about 7 to 8 min. Remove fish to plates and serve with prune sauce and Roasted Cauliflower “Rice.”
Nutrition (per serving)
- 43 g,
- 9 g,
- 16 g,
- 1 g,
- 212 mg.
Santa Carolina Reserva Sauvignon Blanc (Chile, $12) A zesty, grassy Sauvignon Blanc that brings great value to the table, marrying bright citrus and tropical fruit flavours, and a lingering finish.