Hot Portobello Mushroom Sandwich With Lemon AioliBy Chatelaine
Savoury mushrooms and punchy aioli pair for a veggie sandwich with heft and heart.
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 small garlic clove , minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 8 portobello mushroom , caps, stems removed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 ciabatta buns , split and toasted
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 1/4 cup shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Aioli: Combine egg, lemon juice, Dijon, 1/2 minced garlic clove and salt in a jar or tall liquid measuring cup just larger than the head of an immersion blender. Start running immersion blender and slowly drizzle in canola oil until mixture thickens. Add lemon zest and pulse 10 sec. (It should look slightly looser than mayo but not be runny.) Set aside.
- Position rack in top third of oven, then preheat broiler to high. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Sandwich: Toss mushrooms with olive oil, 2 minced garlic cloves and salt in a large bowl. Arrange mushrooms, gill-side up, on prepared sheet. Broil until mushrooms are tender, 5 to 7 min. Remove from oven and drizzle mushrooms with vinegar.
- Spread cut sides of buns with 2 tbsp aioli. Divide arugula between bottom buns. Cut mushrooms in half, then arrange over arugula. Sprinkle cheese over mushrooms. Sandwich with top bun. Serve immediately.
Cover and refrigerate any extra aioli up to 3 days. Use it in other sandwiches or as a dipping sauce for fries.