Okonomiyaki Breakfast SandwichBy Chatelaine
Bacon + an eggy, savoury, Japanese-style pancake + bun + delicious mayo sauce = a decadent morning treat.
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 397-g package coleslaw mix
- 2 green onions , chopped
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon , halved crosswise
- 4 brioche burger buns , split and toasted
- 3 tbsp ketchup
- 3 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Batter: Whisk flour with baking powder, sugar and salt in a small bowl. Whisk eggs with 1 tbsp water in a medium bowl. Whisk in flour mixture until just combined, then stir in coleslaw and green onions.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium. Add bacon and cook just until crisp, 4 to 7 min. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate. Discard fat, leaving 1 tbsp in pan. Mound 4 heaping 1/2-cup portions of coleslaw mixture in pan. Smooth to form rounds. Cook, covered with a lid, until both sides are golden and egg mixture is set, 3 to 4 min. Flip and continue cooking, uncovered, for 2 to 3 min.
- Sauces: Meanwhile, stir ketchup with Worcestershire and soy in a small bowl. Stir mayonnaise with lemon juice in another small bowl.
- Arrange okonomiyaki on burger buns. Drizzle with ketchup mixture and mayo mixture. Top with bacon. Sandwich with top bun.