Bánh Mì Thịt Nướng (Grilled Pork Bánh Mì)By Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
4 hrs 30 min
4 to 6
For chef Tara Lê, owner of Bánh Mì Metro in Scarborough, Ont., bánh mì was a lunchtime staple growing up. Of all the varieties her mother used to make, grilled pork was her favourite. This is her mother’s recipe, in which boneless pork shoulder is marinated in a bold and aromatic sauce.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 1 tbsp minced lemongrass
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing rice wine , or dry sherry
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 900 g boneless pork shoulder , cut in 1⁄4-in.-thick slices
- 4 to 6 baguettes , (see note below)
- condiments of choice , (see note below)
- cucumbers , cut lengthwise into thin slices
- sliced chilies , (optional), jalapeno or bird's eye are ideal
- Whisk together all marinade ingredients in a large bowl; add pork and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 4 to 5 hr.
- Preheat barbecue to medium-high. Add pork to a large grilling basket. Grill pork, lid closed but opening to turn occasionally, until tender and lightly charred on both sides, 5 to 10 min. Transfer to a serving platter.
- Assembly: Split each baguette lengthwise, without cutting the whole way through. Spread mayonnaise on cut sides of each baguette. Layer ingredients from the bottom up using a drizzle of Maggi Seasoning, grilled pork, pickled vegetables, chillies and cucumber. Garnish with cilantro sprigs.