Updated Aug 15, 2016Chatelaine
- PREPARE an outdoor grill for high cooking over indirect heat. For a gas grill, heat one burner on high and leave the other burner(s) off. For a charcoal grill, build a fire on one side of the charcoal grate, leaving the other side of the grill empty, and let burn just until the coals are covered with white ash. Do not spread out the coals.
- MEANWHILE, in a large bowl, toss the tomatoes with vinegar and season to taste with salt and pepper. Let stand, stirring occasionally, while you prepare the sandwiches.
- Using a large serrated knife, cut the ciabatta horizontally in half. Spread the pesto over both cut sides of the ciabatta. Top with the Gruyère cheese, followed by the Brie cheese.
- PLACE the ciabatta halves over the unlighted (empty) side of the grill. Cook, with the lid closed, for about 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the bread is toasty. Transfer to a cutting board.
- USING a slotted spoon, scatter the tomatoes in a thick layer over the bottom half of the ciabatta; discard the juices in the bowl. Cover with the top half of the ciabatta, cheese side down, and press gently. Using the serrated knife, cut the sandwich into 6 pieces and serve immediately.