Warm Wild Rice SaladBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
Level up your lunch with this hearty and healthy warm wild rice salad.
- 3/4 cup wild rice
- 2 yellow squashes , or zucchini, cut into 1/2-in. thick half moons
- 1 large shallot , finely chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil , divided
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 cups parsley leaves
- 2 cups pita chips , store-bought, roughly broken
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes , halved
- Cook wild rice following package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat a large non-stick pan over medium-high. Add squash to dry pan. Cook until golden-brown, 2 to 3 min per side. Transfer to a bowl.
- Reduce heat to low. Add shallot and 1 tbsp oil to same pan. Cook, stirring often, until shallot softens, 1 to 2 min. Remove from heat. Stir in remaining 2 tbsp oil, vinegar, honey, Dijon and salt until combined. Season with pepper.
- Drain rice well. Add rice and squash to pan. Stir to coat. Divide among 4 plates. Top with parsley, pita chips and tomatoes.
Despite its name, wild rice is actually an aquatic grass with an edible grain that has a firm texture and nutty flavour when cooked.