Teriyaki beef salad
This article has not been rated yet.
* PLUS Grilling Time: 4 minutes, Cooking time: 2 minutes
This simple salad tastes fresh and zingy, and it's also incredibly speedy. It's perfect for a fast weeknight dinner, or impressive enough for company.
1/2 to 1 tsp
grape or cherry
, about 1/2-in. thick
of salt and black
- If barbecuing meat, lightly oil grill and heat to medium-high. In a small bowl, whisk orange juice with teriyaki, vegetable and sesame oils, sugar, ½ to 1 tsp (2 to 5 mL) Tabasco (depending on how hot you like it), ginger, garlic and salt.
- Partially fill a large frying pan with water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Meanwhile, snap tough ends from asparagus and discard. Add asparagus to boiling water. Boil until tender-crisp, 2 to 4 min. Drain, then immediately plunge into a bowl of cold water. Drain again, then pat dry with paper towels. Cut asparagus into 2-in. (5-cm) pieces. Place in a large bowl.
- Wash and dry lettuce. Tear into large pieces. Cut tomatoes in half, if you wish. Thinly slice onions. Toss vegetables with asparagus and half of dressing. Arrange on a platter.
- Sprinkle steak with salt and pepper. Place on grill and cook, uncovered, until meat resists slightly when pressed, 2 to 4 min per side for medium-rare. Or place steak in an oiled frying pan and cook over medium-high until lightly browned on both sides, about 2 min per side; then reduce heat to medium and continue cooking until done as you like, from 2 to 3 more min per side. Remove to a cutting board. Let stand about 5 min before slicing into thin strips. Scatter beef over salad, then drizzle with remaining dressing.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 23 g,
- 14 g,
- 3 g,
- 941 mg.