If you’d prefer fresh peas over chickpeas, add 1/2 tsp of cricket powder to the vinaigrette for a touch of umami.
Spring greens saladBy Chatelaine
- 1 bunch baby asparagus , trimmed and cut diagonally in 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup fresh peas , or Crisp Roasted Chickpeas with Cricket Powder
- 6 baby cucumbers , peeled in thin ribbons
- 6 red or watermelon radishes , thinly sliced
- 1 head butter or Boston lettuce , leaves separated
- 1 cup mint leaves
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/3 cup sunflower oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp chopped dill
- 1 1/2 tbsp chopped mint
- 1 1/2 tbsp chopped chives
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
Crisp Roasted Chickpeas with Cricket Powder
- 540 mL can chickpeas , drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp cricket powder
- BRING a saucepan of water to a boil. Add 1 tsp salt, then asparagus. Cook until tender-crisp, 1 to 2 min. Add peas halfway through. Drain and rinse with cold water. Pat dry with paper towel.
- COMBINE cucumbers, radishes, peas, asparagus and lettuce on four plates.
- WHIRL vinegar with honey, Dijon and garlic in a blender. Gradually pour oil through the spout while blending, until smooth. Add dill, mint, chives, salt and pepper, and blend until combined. Drizzle over salad and toss until coated. Top with chickpeas and mint.
Crisp Roasted Chickpeas with Cricket Powder:
- POSITION rack in centre of oven, then preheat to 400F. Pat chickpeas dry with paper towel.
- WHISK oil with cricket powder and salt in a medium bowl. Stir in chickpeas until well-coated. Spread out in a single layer on a large baking sheet.
- ROAST, gently shaking sheet halfway through, until golden and crisp, 25-30 min. Transfer to a bowl to cool slightly.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 6 g,
- 19 g,
- 23 g,
- 6 g,
- 605 mg.