Kale Caesar Salad with Tofu CroutonsBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
Our take on this classic salad recipe combines crispy tofu with dried fruit for the perfect blend of sweet and salty.
- 1 350-g pkg extra-firm tofu , cut into 1/2-in. cubes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 350-g pkg silken tofu , drained
- 1/3 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 4 anchovy fillets , chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , chopped
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 large bunch green or purple kale
- 1/2 cup dried cherries or cranberries
- Position rack in centre of oven and preheat to 400F. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Tofu croutons: Toss extra-firm tofu with 1 tbsp oil and 1/8 tsp salt in a bowl. Season with pepper. Pour panko into a medium bowl. Toss tofu, in batches, in panko until completely coated, then arrange in a single layer on prepared sheet.
- Bake until tofu cubes are crispy and golden-brown, 15 to 20 min.
- Dressing: Meanwhile, combine silken tofu with cheese, anchovies, garlic, lemon juice, 2 tbsp oil, Dijon, Worcestershire and 1/8 tsp salt in a food processor or blender. Whirl until very smooth. Season with pepper.
- Wash kale and pat dry with paper towels. Remove and discard stems and ribs. Tear kale leaves into small pieces, and then transfer to a large bowl. Using your hands, firmly massage and scrunch leaves to tenderize. Drain off any excess water.
- Arrange kale on a platter. Drizzle dressing overtop and toss to coat. Sprinkle with cherries and tofu croutons. Season with pepper. Garnish with shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano, if desired.