Charred Cabbage And Bacon PanzanellaBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
A delicious salad that'll fill you up with nutritious goodness.
- 1 small red onion , thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt , divided
- 1/2 medium green cabbage , cut into 1-in. pieces, about 10 cups
- 3 tbsp olive oil , divided
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 demi baguette , torn into 1/2-in. pieces, about 4 cups
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes , halved
- 1/2 cup firm blue cheese , such as Stilton, crumbled
- 1/4 cup chives , finely chopped
- Position racks in top and bottom thirds of oven and preheat to 475F.
- Combine onion, lemon juice and 1/2 tsp salt in a large bowl. Set aside to marinate.
- Toss cabbage with 1 tbsp oil and remaining 1/2 tsp salt on a large rimmed baking sheet. Spread out in an even layer. Bake in top third of oven, stirring halfway through, until edges are blackened and crisp, about 20 min.
- Meanwhile, lay bacon in single layer in a large ovenproof frying pan over medium-high. Cook, turning, until crisp, 4 to 5 min per side. Transfer bacon to a paper-towel-lined plate.
- Discard all but 1 tbsp bacon fat in pan. Add bread to pan and stir to coat. Transfer to bottom third of oven. Roast, stirring halfway, until deep golden brown, about 8 min.
- Tear bacon into 1-in. pieces. Add bacon, cabbage, croutons, tomatoes and remaining 2 tbsp oil to onion mixture. Toss to combine.
- Divide salad among 4 plates. Top with cheese and chives. Season with pepper.