Love this beet and apple salad recipe? Here are 27 more ways to use beets at home that jam-pack your plate full of flavour and colour.
Carrot, Beet and Apple SaladBy Chatelaine
Whole food cooking is at the heart of Kirsten Buck's site, Buck Naked Kitchen. She loves hemp hearts (a big Manitoba crop!) for nut milks and salads.
- 1/4 cup dried goji berries , or raisins
- 2 cups julienned carrots
- 2 cups julienned beets
- 1 large gala apple , cored and julienned (about 2 cups)
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped parsley
- 2 to 3 sprigs fresh mint leaves
- 2 tbsp hemp hearts
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp apple-cider vinegar , or rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- In a cup, combine the dried goji berries with just enough hot water to cover. Stir and allow to sit for
20 to 30 sec to soften and rehydrate. Rinse with cold water and set aside. (If you are using raisins, skip this step.)
- Combine the carrots, beets, apple, parsley and mint in a large bowl or on a serving plate. Sprinkle with hemp hearts, sunflower seeds and goji berries.
- Dressing: In a bowl, whisk the tahini with vinegar, water, maple syrup and garlic. Add the dressing to the salad and toss to evenly coat. Season with salt and pepper, and an extra drizzle of vinegar to taste.