Black Kale, Bacon and Roasted Tomato PanzanellaBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
Starring crispy bacon bits and homemade croutons, this is not your typical kale salad.
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 large garlic clove , minced
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp anchovy paste
- 8 strips thick-cut bacon
- 2 255-g pkgs cherry tomatoes , on the vine
- 1 demi-baguette , roughly torn
- 8 cups roughly torn black kale leaves
- 4 soft-boiled eggs , quartered
- 1 avocado , cut in wedges
- Position rack in centre of oven and preheat to 400F. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Dressing: Whisk oil with lemon juice, garlic, Dijon, maple syrup and anchovy paste in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Salad: Arrange bacon in a single layer on 1 side of baking sheet; add tomatoes to other side. Bake for 10 min, flip, and continue baking until bacon starts to crisp and tomatoes are wrinkled, 5 to 8 more min. Transfer bacon and tomatoes to a paper-towel-lined plate.
- Add bread to bacon fat in pan. Stir until fat absorbs. Bake, stirring halfway, until bread is toasted, 8 to 10 min.
- Arrange kale on a platter. Roughly tear bacon. Top with bacon, croutons, eggs, tomatoes and avocado. Drizzle dressing overtop.