For all your Holiday must-haves click here for our Shopping List.
Holiday crown roast pork
- 3 kg pork-loin rib-end crown roast
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- lemon zest , from 1 lemon
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups water
- Preheat oven to 350F. Set a rack in a shallow roasting pan that is just slightly larger than pork. Stir oil with rosemary, Dijon, lemon zest and salt in a small bowl. Holding meat on its side over a piece of waxed paper, rub a little of mixture over side of pork. Spread it over meat area only, not bones. Using the back of a spoon or your fingers, rotate meat and repeat with remaining mixture. Be sure to cover meat area in inside centre of roast as well. Pour water into pan.
- Place roast on rack in pan, then roast, uncovered, in centre of oven until an instant-read thermometer inserted in thickest part of meat reads 150F. Add a little more water to pan after an hour of roasting, so that bottom of pan is covered throughout roasting.
- Begin checking temperature of meat when it has roasted a total of 1 3/4 hours. (Our roasts needed 2 and 2 1/4 hours to cook to the 150F stage.) Then remove meat to a carving board. Discard water in pan. Cover meat loosely with a piece of foil and let stand 10 min before slicing. The temperature of meat should rise to 155F as it sits.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 49 g,
- 24 g,
- 392 mg.