Photo, Erik Putz.
Delight your taste buds with a recipe that make spring’s first fruit the star of the show. That’s right, rhubarb’s sweet-tart kick extends way beyond pie!
3 1/2 cups
, about 350 g
- LINE the bottom and sides of a 9 × 5-in. loaf pan with 2 large overlapping pieces of plastic wrap, leaving some wrap hanging over sides of pan. Keep prepared pan in freezer until ready to use.
- COMBINE rhubarb with strawberries, 1/2 cup sugar and limoncello in a medium saucepan and set over medium-high. Stir until sugar melts and mixture starts to simmer, about 5 min. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until thick and saucy, about 10 min. Pour into a wide shallow dish. Chill in freezer until cold, about 1 hour.
- FILL a medium saucepan with 1 in. of water. Bring to a simmer over medium, then reduce to medium-low. Whisk egg yolks with milk and vanilla in a large heatproof bowl. Place bowl over simmering water, covering saucepan completely. Whisk constantly, gradually adding remaining 1/2 cup sugar, until blended. Continue whisking vigorously until custard turns pale yellow and is thick enough to coat a spoon, 4 to 5 min. Remove from heat and cover surface with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.
- BEAT cream in a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium-high, until stiff peaks form when beaters are lifted, 2 to 3 min. Stir a quarter of cream into chilled custard mixture. Gently fold in remaining cream until blended and no streaks remain. Scrape into prepared pan. Dollop rhubarb mixture overtop, reserving 1 cup for serving. Using a long skewer in a circular motion, swirl the layers together. Cover surface with plastic overhang. Freeze until firm, about 4 hours or overnight.
- PEEL back plastic wrap from semifreddo. Invert onto a platter, then remove and discard wrap. Let stand at room temperature until semifreddo is soft enough to slice, about 5 min. Cut into slices to serve, and spoon reserved sauce overtop.
Try this beautiful rhubarb pie
Nutrition (per serving)
- 3 g,
- 26 g,
- 19 g,
- 1 g,
- 26 mg.
- Good source of
- Vitamin B12
Shopping tip: Limoncello is an Italian lemon liqueur. Find it at your local liquor store.