Chocolate chip cookies
The rich dark chocolate in these buttery cookies makes them decidedly grown-up, but they still cry out for a glass of milk. (They're the ultimate treat!)
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter , at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups dark chocolate chips , or coarsely chopped dark chocolate chunks
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Lightly spray a baking sheet with oil. In a medium bowl, use a fork to stir flour with baking soda and salt. In a large bowl, using a wooden spoon or an electric mixer, beat butter with sugar until creamy, about 1 min. Beat in egg and vanilla. Gradually stir flour mixture into butter mixture, until just combined. Mix in chocolate chips.
- Scoop about 1 tbsp (15 mL) of dough and place on prepared sheet. Repeat with remaining dough, placing at least 2 in. (5 cm) apart. Don’t press down; they will spread as they bake.
- Bake in centre of oven until cookies are golden around the edges, from 8 to 10 min. Remove sheet to a heatproof surface and leave for 2 min. Then remove cookies to a rack to cool completely. Cool baking sheet or use another one and repeat with remaining dough.
- If making ahead, form dough into a thick disc and wrap well. Refrigerate up to 2 weeks or freeze up to a month. This chocolate chip cookie recipe will keep in a covered container at room temperature up to 2 days – but we doubt they’ll last that long.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 1 g,
- 12 g,
- 5 g,
- 1 g,