Lemon coconut shortbread squares
As irresistible as lemon meringue pie but much easier to make - and there's no need for a fork and plate.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup sifted icing sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 6 egg
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice , from about 4 lemons
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- FOR base, preheat oven to 350F (180C). Lightly butter bottom and sides of a 9×13-in. (3-L) baking dish. In a large bowl, stir 1 cup (250 mL) flour with coconut and icing sugar until mixed. Cut in butter using your fingers or a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Turn into prepared baking dish and press evenly over bottom. Base will be thin. Bake in centre of oven just until crust starts to turn golden. Check after 15 min of baking but it may take 20 to 22 min in total. Remove from oven and set on a heatproof surface. Then reduce oven to 325F (160C).
- FOR filling, in a large bowl, whisk eggs with lemon juice. Stir flour with sugar, then whisk into egg mixture. Pour over hot baked crust. Make sure oven is reduced to 325 F (160 C), then bake in centre of oven until filling is set when pan is jiggled, 30 to 35 min. Cool on a rack. Cut into 2-in. (5-cm) squares just before serving.
- Make Ahead Tip: Squares will keep well in the baking pan, covered and refrigerated, up to 3 days, or cover with foil and freeze up to 1 month. Defrost in refrigerator and cut just before serving.
How to fill a piping bag
Nutrition (per serving)
- 3 g,
- 34 g,
- 7 g,
- 0.5 g,
- 26 mg.