Easy rhubarb & berry short cakes
This article has not been rated yet.
4 to 6 servings (2-1/4 cups sauce)
- 1 quart strawberries
- 2 cups 1/2-in. pieces fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 4 to 6 baking powder biscuits , small short cakes or 1/2-in thick pieces of pound cake
- Wash, dry and hull strawberries. Cut in half or quarters if large. You should have 2 to 2-1/2 cups (500 to 625 mL).
- Place rhubarb in a microwave-safe 2-L (8-cup) dish. Mix sugar with cornstarch and stir in. Cover with a lid or plastic wrap, vented in one corner. Microwave on high for 6 minutes if using fresh rhubarb and 8 minutes if using frozen.
- Stir in strawberries and continue microwaving, uncovered, stirring once, until bubbly and thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Split biscuits in half. Spoon sauce overtop and serve with a dollop of softly whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. Covered and refrigerated, sauce will keep well for up to 2 days.