Updated Nov 24, 2014Chatelaine
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C). Lightly spray or coat a rimmed baking sheet with oil. In a medium bowl, add ¾ cup (175 mL) buttermilk and ¼ cup (50 mL) cornmeal and stir to combine.
- In a large bowl, using a fork, stir flour with baking powder, sugar and salt until evenly mixed. Then, using your fingers, a fork or a pastry blender, work in butter until flour mixture is crumbly. Stir in cheese, ham and onions.
- Whisk egg into buttermilk mixture. Then pour into flour mixture. Using a wooden spoon, stir until just combined. Gently gather into a ball. Then slice into 2 equal-sized portions.
- Sprinkle remaining 2 tbsp (30 mL) cornmeal on a cutting board. Place 1 portion of dough on top and gently pat into a 6-in. (15-cm) circle. Cut into 6 wedges. Repeat with remaining dough, pressing into remaining cornmeal on counter before cutting.
- Place wedges on baking sheet at least 1 in. (2.5 cm) apart. Lightly brush with remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) buttermilk. Bake in centre of oven until lightly golden, 14 to 16 min.
Prepare scones up to step 4, then place scone wedges on a baking sheet. Freeze, uncovered, until firm, then place in a freezer bag and keep, frozen, up to 1 month. To bake, remove scones to a baking sheet. Defrost, uncovered, about 1½ hours. Continue with step 5.