Chai gingerbread cookie
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , melted
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup fancy molasses
- 1 chai tea bag
- IN a large bowl, using a fork, stir flour with spices and baking soda. Slit open a chai-tea bag. Stir 1 tbsp of the leaves into flour mixture along with spices. In a medium bowl, using a wooden spoon, beat butter with sugar for 2 min. Beat in egg, then molasses. Make a well in centre of flour mixture, then pour in molasses mixture. Stir until most of molasses is absorbed. Gently knead until dough is an even colour. Divide into 4 portions
- SHAPE each into a ball, then flatten slightly into a disc. Wrap separately with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least 30 min or up to a week. Or overwrap with foil and freeze up to 1 month.
- WHEN ready to bake, remove dough from refrigerator. Let stand at room temperature until soft enough to roll, 5 to 10 min. Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly spray or oil a baking sheet. Place a disc of dough between 2 sheets of waxed paper. Roll dough no thicker than 1/4 in. Cut out shapes with cookie cutter. Place on baking sheet about 1 in. apart.
- BAKE in centre of preheated oven just until edges begin to darken, 7 to 10 min. Remove cookies to a rack to cool. Repeat with remaining dough. Store in an airtight container in a cool place up to 1 week or freeze up to 1 month.