Black and white icebox cookies
1 h 30 min
55 to 60 Cookies
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter , at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 100-g pkg good-quality dark chocolate
- Stir flour with baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Beat butter with sugar in a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium-high, until fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Gradually beat in flour mixture, just until combined. Gather into a ball. Divide dough in half, then roll each portion into a 2-in.-wide log. Wrap logs in wax paper and twist ends. Chill until firm, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Position racks in top and bottom thirds of oven. Preheat to 350F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- Slice cookies into 1/4-inch rounds and arrange 1 inch apart on prepared sheets. Bake in top and bottom thirds of oven, switching halfway through, until cookies are golden, 10 to 12 min. Let cookies cool on sheets for 1 min, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough. Cool completely, melt a chopped 100-g pkg good-quality dark chocolate. Brush half of each cookie with melted chocolate. Let chocolate firm up, about 30 min.Cookies will keep well, stored in an airtight container at room temperature, up to 5 days.
How to melt chocolate using a double-boiler