Updated Nov 7, 2019Chatelaine
freekeh, or long-grain rice
¼ cup + 1 tsp
olive oil, divided
garlic cloves, minced
3 ½ tbsp
lemon juice, divided
1 tsp each
paprika, cumin and salt
¼ tsp each
hot pepper flakes and cinnamon
skinless, boneless chicken thighs
romaine lettuce, torn
halved grape or cherry tomatoes
thinly sliced red onion
pomegranate seeds and torn mint leaves, optional
- Cook freekeh following package directions until tender, 20 to 25 min. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 450F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk ¼ cup of the oil, garlic, 2½ tbsp of the lemon juice, paprika, cumin, salt, cinnamon and pepper flakes. In a large bowl, toss chicken with half of the dressing (set the other half aside). Let stand for 15 min.
- Arrange chicken on prepared sheet (discard marinade) and bake until golden and cooked through, about 18 min. Thinly slice and set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir tahini, remaining 1 tbsp lemon juice and 1 tsp oil, and 4 tsp water until smooth.
- Divide freekeh among four bowls. Add chicken, lettuce, tomatoes, onion, and Sabra hummus, pomegranate seeds and mint. Serve with reserved dressing and tahini mixture.
Originally published in the Today’s Parent Summer 2017 issue. Photo by Erik Putz.