Updated Aug 25, 2016Chatelaine
- WHIRL flour with 2 tsp granulated sugar and salt in a food processor. Add butter. Pulse until finely crumbled. With machine still running, add water, 1 tbsp at a time, through the spout and continue whirling until a ball forms, 30 sec. Divide pastry in half. Form into 2 discs. Wrap each with plastic and chill in refrigerator for 30 min.
- COMBINE rhubarb with 1 cup granulated sugar in a large saucepan and set over high. Boil, then reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring often, until mixture is very thick and reduced to 2 1/2 cups, 20 to 35 min. (Time will depend on water content of rhubarb.) Stir in vanilla and cool slightly, 5 min.
- POSITION rack in lower third of oven. Preheat to 375F.
- BEAT egg with water in small bowl. On a lightly floured surface, roll out 1 pastry disc into a 13-in. circle. Lift onto a 9-in. metal pie pan set on a baking sheet. Press dough over bottom and up sides of pan, leaving 1-in. overhang. Scrape rhubarb mixture into pastry. Brush overhang with egg wash. Roll out second pastry disc into a 12-in. circle, about 1/8 in. thick. Cut into 12 3/4-in. strips. Follow instructions for lattice top here.
- BRUSH lattice and overhang with egg wash. Sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake in lower third of oven until golden brown, 50 to 60 min. Transfer pie to a rack to cool completely, 1 hour.
Tip: To make tarts, shape one-third of the pastry into a cube. Divide remaining pastry into 4 discs. Wrap each with plastic and chill for 30 min. Roll discs into 7-in. circles. Press pastry into 4 4-in. tart pans (1 1/4 in. deep) set on a baking sheet, leaving 1-in. overhang. Brush overhang with egg wash. Divide rhubarb mixture among pastry shells. Roll out pastry cube into a 10-in. square, about 1/8 in. thick. Cut in half, making 2 rectangles, then cut each piece crosswise into 12 3/4-in. strips, creating 24 strips 5 in. long. Lay 3 strips vertically across each tart. Follow instructions for lattice top here. Bake in lower third of oven until golden brown, 40 to 50 min. Transfer to a rack to cool completely.
NutritionCalories 333, Protein 4 g, Carbohydrates 48 g, Fat 14 g, Fibre 3 g, Sodium 181 mg.
How to make this gorgeous rhubarb pie