Rhubarb PieBy Chatelaine
1 h 20 min
We show you how to make a stunning lattice-topped rhubarb pie with a step-by-step guide.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup cold, unsalted butter , cubed
- 4 to 5 tbsp ice-cold water
- 7 cups chopped fresh Rhubarb , cut into 1/2-in. pieces (about 750 g)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp coarse sugar
- Pastry: Whirl flour with 2 tsp granulated sugar and salt in a food processor. Add butter. Pulse until finely crumbled. With machine still running, add water, 1 tbsp at a time, through the spout. Continue whirling until a ball forms, 30 sec. Divide pastry in half. Form into 2 discs. Wrap each with plastic and chill in refrigerator for 30 min.
- Filling: Combine rhubarb with 1 cup granulated sugar in a large saucepan and set over high. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring often, until mixture is very thick and reduced to 2 1/2 cups, 20 to 35 min. (Time will depend on water content of rhubarb.) Stir in vanilla and cool slightly, 5 min.
- Position rack in lower third of oven. Preheat to 375F.
- Beat egg with 1 tbsp water in small bowl. Remove one pastry disc from the fridge. On a lightly floured surface, roll out 1 pastry disc into a 13-in. circle. Lift onto a 9-in. metal pie pan set on a baking sheet. Press dough over bottom and up sides of pan, leaving 1-in. overhang. Trim, if needed. Scrape rhubarb mixture into pastry. Brush overhang with egg wash. Roll out second pastry disc into a 12-in. circle, about 1/8 in. thick. Cut into twelve 3/4-in. strips.
- Lay 6 pastry strips vertically across pie. Fold back every other strip, then lay a new strip horizontally. Straighten folded strips back across pie. Fold back alternate strips, then place a new strip horizontally above the first one. Repeat until pie is completely covered. Fold overhanging pastry over lattice strips to seal, and crimp edges inside the pan.
- Brush lattice and overhang with egg wash. Sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake in lower third of oven until golden brown, 50 to 60 min. Transfer pie to a rack to cool completely, about 1 hr.
- Filling will be more firm if you refrigerate pie for 3 hr before serving.
When placing rolled-out dough into the pie dish, leave about 1 in. of overhang for the lattice. Trim with scissors, if necessary.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 6 g,
- 61 g,
- 24 g,
- 3 g,
- 310 mg.