Kitchen Tip: Dough can be made ahead and refrigerated up to a week. Take out of refrigerator and leave on counter for 1 hour before rolling.
Peanut butter and jam hand piesBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
2 hrs 40 min
A simple filling with a gooey peanut butter glaze is the perfect afternoon treat.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups cold unsalted butter , cut into 1/2-in. cubes
- 3 eggs , separated
- 1/3 cup milk
- 60 raspberries
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 2 tbsp natural peanut butter
- 2 tbsp water
- WHIRL flour with sugar and salt in a food processor until combined. Add butter and pulse until coarse crumbs form. Whisk egg yolks with milk in a small bowl. While pulsing, gradually add egg mixture through the spout. Pulse until dough starts to come together. Divide dough into 2 portions. Flatten each into a small rectangle, then cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
- POSITION racks in top and bottom thirds of oven. Preheat to 375F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- REMOVE dough from refrigerator. On a lightly floured surface, roll one portion of dough into a 9×17-in. rectangle, then trim edges to make an 8×15-in. rectangle. Cut in half lengthwise, then cut each long piece into 5 3×4-in. rectangles. You should have a total of 10 pastry rectangles. Arrange pastry on prepared sheet, 1 in. apart. Repeat with remaining portion of dough, making 10 more pastry rectangles.
- FILL each pastry with 6 raspberries, leaving a 1/2-cm border. Whisk egg whites in a small bowl. Brush edges of pastry with egg white. Place another pastry piece over filling. Crimp edges with the tines of a fork to seal. Poke several holes in top of each tart.
- BAKE in top and bottom thirds of oven, switching halfway through, until puffed up and golden brown, 25 to 30 min. Transfer to a wire rack to cool, 20 min. Stir icing sugar with natural peanut butter and water until smooth. Drizzle over baked pastries. Let stand until glaze is firm, 5 min. Tarts will keep well at room temperature in a covered container up to 2 days. Reheat in a 250F oven for 10 min, if desired.