Glazed Strawberry Hand PiesBy Chatelaine
1 h 5 min
3 hrs 15 min
All the nostalgic fun of a toaster pastry—with so much more fresh flavour.
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour , (330 g)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter , cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 large egg , separated
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 to 5 tsp ice water
- 3 cups strawberries , hulled and chopped
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar , (96 g)
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp strawberries , chopped, about 1 large
- 2/3 cup icing sugar , (133 g)
- Pink and red sprinkles , (optional)
- Freeze-dried strawberries , crumbled (optional)
- Pastry: Combine flour and 1⁄2 tsp salt in a food processor. Gradually add butter while pulsing until crumbs are pea-sized.
- Refrigerate egg white in a small bowl for later use. Stir egg yolk, sour cream and 3 tsp ice water in a small bowl, then add to food processor. Pulse until dough just comes together; do not overwork. Add more ice water, 1 tsp at a time, if dough looks dry. (That said, dough should not look sticky, either.) Divide dough in half, then shape and press each half into a rectangle. Wrap both with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hr.
- Filling: Meanwhile, mash 3 cups strawberries in a medium saucepan, using a potato masher, until roughly puréed. Add granulated sugar, lemon zest and juice and 1⁄8 tsp salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high. Cook, stirring often, until foam subsides and filling thickens enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon, about 6 to 8 min. Stir in vanilla. Transfer filling to a medium bowl and set aside to cool for 30 min.
- Meanwhile, line 2 baking sheets with parchment. Roll out 1 rectangle of dough into a 9 x 15-inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Trim edges to straighten. (Patch any tears with dough scraps.) Cut rectangle in half, lengthwise, into 2 strips. Then cut each strip into five 3 x 4 1⁄2 -inch rectangles. (You will have 10 total.) Carefully transfer pastries to first prepared sheet. Repeat with remaining dough on second sheet. Refrigerate until firm, about 15 min.
- Scoop 1 heaping tbsp of filling onto centre of 10 pastry rectangles, leaving a 1⁄2-inch border on all sides. Briefly whisk reserved egg white, then brush edges of pastries with egg white. Place another pastry piece over each filled rectangle. Crimp edges with the tines of a fork to seal. Refrigerate 20 min.
- Position rack in upper third of oven, then preheat to 375F.
- Poke several holes on top of each chilled hand pie with a toothpick, then brush each one with egg white.
- Bake until tops are golden, 24 to 28 min. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely, about 30 min.
- Topping: Mash 2 tbsp strawberries in a medium bowl, using a potato masher, until puréed. Whisk in 1 tsp water, then icing sugar until smooth. (Glaze should be thick and spreadable. If too thick, add more water, 1⁄4 tsp at a time. If too thin, add more icing sugar, 1 tbsp at a time.)
- Spread 2 tsp glaze over each hand pie. Immediately top with sprinkles and freeze-dried strawberries. Let stand until glaze is firm, about 10 min. Store in a covered container at room temperature up to 3 days.
Pastry dough will keep well refrigerated up to 3 days.
are available at most
health food stores.