Free-form strawberry pie
* PLUS Baking Time: 40 minutes
This summery ruby-red pie comes together in a flash: Spoon berry mixture onto store-bought puff pastry, fold over and you're done.
1/2 397-g pkg
puff pastry dough
, about 750 g
, for sprinkling
, or seedless raspberry jam
- Preheat oven to 475F (240C). Line baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. Lightly sprinkle counter with flour and place pastry on top. Dust rolling pin with flour. Roll pastry into a thin circle, about 14 to 16 in. (35 to 40 cm) wide. Don’t worry if it’s not a perfect circle. Loosely roll pastry around rolling pin, then unroll over baking sheet. It may have overhang.
- Hull, then halve or quarter strawberries. Lay on paper towels and pat dry. In a large bowl, stir 1/2 cup (125 mL) sugar with cornstarch. If berries are not sweet, add another 2 tbsp (30 mL) sugar. Stir in berries to coat. Mound strawberries in centre of pastry, leaving a 3-in. (8-cm) edge uncovered. Fold pastry over fruit, overlapping as needed. Centre of pie should not be covered.
- In a bowl, whisk egg with 1 tbsp (15 mL) cold water. Brush over pastry edges. Don’t let it pool, or it may form streaks when baked. Sprinkle pastry with pinches of sugar. Place on bottom rack of 475F (240C) oven. Immediately reduce temperature to 375F (190C). Bake until pastry is golden, 40 to 45 min. If berries begin to dry out, loosely cover with circle of foil for the last 15 min of baking.
- Remove pie from oven and make glaze by discarding any chunky pieces of fruit from jam, then microwaving in small bowl on medium-high until melted, about 30 sec. Brush over warm berries. Let stand 10 min before cutting into wedges.
- Top with whipped cream, vanilla ice cream or frozen yogourt. Pie is best warm. It will keep well, covered, for up to a day at room temperature.
- Perk up the filling by stirring 1 tsp (5 mL) grated orange or lemon peel into berry mixture.
- Add a nutty topping: Five minutes before end of baking, remove foil. Scatter berries with sliced almonds and continue baking.
- Try it with a summer garnish. Just before serving, sprinkle berries with finely chopped fresh mint.