Quick Pickled Shrimp and Pearl OnionsBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
- 8 small pearl onions
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 227 g peeled cooked large shrimp
- 1 1/2 tbsp pickling spice
- 1/2 lemon , thinly sliced
- Combine onions with enough water to cover in a small saucepan and set over medium-high. Boil until onions are just tender, about 5 min. Drain.
- Add vinegar, water and sugar to same saucepan. Boil until sugar is dissolved, 1 to 2 min.
- Combine shrimp, onions, pickling spice and lemon in a glass bowl or jar. Pour vinegar mixture overtop. Let cool slightly. Cover and refrigerate overnight before serving. Pickles will keep well in the refrigerator for 3 days.
For best results, use glass (or ceramic) bowls or jars when making quick pickles. Avoid using metal bowls, as vinegar may react with metal, giving your pickles an off flavour.