Pickled Rainbow Chard StemsBy Chatelaine
1 1/2 cups
Make the most of leftover chard stalks by pickling them! Snack on the pickled stalks whole, or chop them up and add to salads, fried eggs, or any dish that could use a sour condiment.
- 2 large bunches rainbow swiss chard
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp pickling spice
- Cut stems off chard. Reserve leaves for another use. Cut stems into 21/2-in.-long pieces (if stems are thick, halve pieces lengthwise).
- Combine vinegar, sugar and 1/2 cup water in a small saucepan and set over medium-high. Boil until sugar dissolves, about 1 min.
- Combine stems and pickling spice in a glass bowl or jar. Pour vinegar mixture overtop. Set aside until completely cooled. Cover and refrigerate overnight before serving. Pickles will keep well in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.