A great make-ahead, this marinated cheese looks so gorgeous in glass canning jars that it makes a beautiful hostess gift as well as a fabulous cocktail nibbly. Double the recipe and keep a stash for unexpected drop-ins.
Orange and sun-dried tomato feta
8 to 12 servings
* PLUS Marinating Time: 720 minutes
- 200-g container feta , or 7-oz. block
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 large orange
- 4 oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 tbsp drained capers
- 1 tsp dill seed
- 1 tsp fennel seed , optional
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 green onions , sliced (optional)
- Drain feta, if necessary. Taste feta. If it is really salty, rinse quickly under cold running water. Pat dry with paper towels, then cut into 1/2-inch (1-cm) cubes. Place in a large glass jar or container just a little larger than feta but still big enough that you can gently stir mixture.
- In a small bowl, whisk oil with honey. Thinly slice garlic and grate peel from orange and add. Drain sun-dried tomatoes then coarsely chop. They should measure about 1/4 cup (50 mL). Stir into oil mixture with capers, dill and fennel seeds and pepper. Pour over cheese. Stir to gently mix.
- Cover and refrigerate at least overnight, preferably up to 3 days, before using. Occasionally turn jar or gently stir to redistribute marinade. Feta will keep well, covered and refrigerated, up to 2 weeks. Remove from refrigerator about 1 hour before serving. Then place cheese in a shallow bowl. Drizzle with some of the marinade and sprinkle with green onions. Wonderful with slices of toasted baguette.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 4 g,
- 7.3 g,
- 14.9 g,
- 0.7 g,
- 362 mg.