Jewelled fruit squares
This article has not been rated yet.
All the fixings of a fruitcake, but not heavy and stodgy!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 2/3 cup cold unsalted butter , cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 tbsp rum , or apple juice
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup corn syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup coarsely chopped glacé cherries
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped glacé pineapples
- 1 cup chopped pecans , walnuts or almonds
- PREHEAT oven to 350F (180C). Lightly spray a 9×13-inch (3-L) baking pan. For base, whirl 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) flour and icing sugar in a food processor until blended. Add butter and pulse until mixture starts to come together. Or, in a medium-size bowl, stir flour with icing sugar. Using a pastry blender or your fingers, mix in butter until coarse crumbs form. Turn into baking pan. Press evenly over bottom. Bake in centre of oven until edges are golden-tinged, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from oven, but leave oven on.
- WHILE base is baking, prepare topping. Place raisins and rum in a small bowl. Microwave, uncovered, on high 1 minute. In a large bowl, whisk eggs. Whisk in brown sugar and 2 tbsp (30 mL) flour. Stir in corn syrup and vanilla. Stir in raisin mixture, cherries, pineapple and pecans. Spread over warm base.
- BAKE in centre of preheated oven until centre is set and edges of base are deep golden, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove to a rack to cool completely. Then cut into squares. Refrigerate up to 5 days or freeze up to 1 month.
How to peel and core a whole pineapple
Nutrition (per serving)
- 2.1 g,
- 32.5 g,
- 9.2 g,
- 0.9 g,
- 20 mg.