This article has not been rated yet.
To simplify our spicy, south-of-the-border filling, we stirred a seasoning mix into ground beef, then pressed it into a pan and baked it meat-loaf style to avoid constant stirring. Tuck it into taco shells, burger buns or tortilla wraps, then add all your favourite toppings.
- 2 green onions
- 1 egg
- 35-g pkg taco or fajita seasoning mix
- 500 g lean ground chicken or ground beef
- 8 large taco shells
- Preheat oven to 425F (220C). Lightly oil or spray an 8- or 9-in.-square (2- or 2.5-L) baking dish. Thinly slice green onions.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk egg with taco seasoning. Crumble in meat. Add onions. Using your hands or a fork, work just until evenly mixed. Turn into prepared dish and pat evenly to spread out. Don’t press down.
- Bake in centre of preheated oven until meat is firm to the touch and edges pull away from the sides of the pan, about 25 min. Drain fat from pan and discard. Let meat stand 5 min.
- Cut meat into 4 squares, then slice each square in half to make 8 pieces to fit the taco shells. Tuck into shells. Add toppings such as grated cheddar cheese, chopped tomatoes, chopped avocado, shredded lettuce, sour cream and salsa.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 12.3 g,
- 11 g,
- 8 g,
- 1 g,
- 220 mg.