Spring steak kebabs
This article has not been rated yet.
* PLUS Broiling Time: 9 minutes, Marinating Time: 30 minutes
Buy extra-thick steaks at the butcher counter, perfect for cutting into impressively large kebabs.
, in Adobo sauce
1 to 1.5 kg
, about 1.5-in thick
yellow, red or green
cherry or grape
- In a large bowl, whisk vinegar with honey, garlic powder, salt and black pepper. Finely chop chipotle pepper and stir in. Cut steak into 1½-in. (3.5-cm) cubes and add. Mix to coat. Let stand at room temperature for 30 min. Stir occasionally. If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for at least 15 min to avoid burning.
- When ready to broil, position oven rack 3 to 4 in. (7.5 to 10 cm) from top element. Preheat broiler and lightly oil a rimmed baking sheet. Or to barbecue, lightly oil grill and heat barbecue to medium-high.
- Core and seed pepper, then cut into 1½-in. (3.5-cm) cubes. Cut onion into 10 wedges. Place pepper and onion in a bowl. Separate onion into pieces. Stir with enough oil to coat. Drain marinade from beef and save. Thread beef onto skewers, alternating with tomatoes, pepper and onion.
- To broil, brush kebabs with marinade and place on baking sheet. Broil 5 min. Turn over, then brush tops with marinade. Discard marinade. For medium-rare, continue to broil until meat resists slightly when pressed, 4 to 8 min.
- Or to barbecue, brush kebabs with marinade and place on grill. Cover. Turn occasionally and brush with marinade for 5 min. Discard marinade. For medium-rare, grill until meat resists slightly when pressed, 4 to 8 more min. Arrange on a platter and sprinkle with cilantro.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 17 g,
- 7 g,
- 4 g,
- 1 g,
- 36 mg.