By the time fall arrives, it’s easy to feel ho hum about grilled burgers — but not if you make these ones from the Buffalo Mountain Lodge in Banff, Alta. They’re a clever combination of fresh thyme, grilled red onion and melted Oka cheese.
This article has not been rated yet.
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 500 g ground beef , preferably medium
- 1/2 cup minced or finely chopped onion
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme , or 3/4 tsp dried leaf thyme
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 red onion
- 120 g Oka cheese , thinly sliced
- 4 burger or kaiser buns
- In a large bowl, whisk egg with Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Crumble in beef and then add minced onion, thyme and garlic. Combine, using a fork or your hands, just until blended. Shape into 4 patties, each about 3/4 inches (2 cm) thick.
- Oil grill and preheat barbecue to medium-high heat. Place patties on grill, cover and barbecue for 6 to 8 minutes per side for well-done burgers. After placing patties on grill, thickly slice red onion and place on grill around patties. Turn onions every 3 to 4 minutes or until softened and slightly charred.
- Top each burger with a slice of cheese for last 2 to 3 minutes of grilling. Warm buns on grill as well. Place each hot burger on a warm bun. Top with grilled onion, sliced tomato and lettuce or other garnishes you like.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 36.5 g,
- 47.2 g,
- 25.2 g,
- 3.7 g,
- 908 mg.