Smashed Plantains With Beans and RiceBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
Golden, crispy plantains are the centre piece of this dish. Try it with hot sauce for the perfect kick.
- 1 400-mL can coconut milk , divided
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable broth , divided
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 11 tsp canola oil , divided
- 1 small onion , finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 1 tbsp Jerk-Inspired Spice Blend , (see Kitchen tips for recipe)
- 1 540-mL can black beans , undrained
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp hot sauce , such as Tabasco (optional)
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 2 ripe plantains , cut in 1-in. rounds
- 1/4 tsp salt , divided
- Combine 1 1/4 cups coconut milk and 3/4 cup broth in a medium saucepan set over high. Bring to a boil, and then add rice. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, until all liquid has been absorbed, 18 to 20 min.
- Meanwhile, heat a small saucepan over medium-high. Add 1 tsp oil, and then onion. Cook until softened, about 3 min. Stir in garlic and spice blend, for 30 sec. Add beans with liquid, soy sauce, hot sauce and remaining 1/2 cup broth. Cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has been absorbed but beans are still saucy, about 8 min. Remove from heat and stir in lime juice. Set aside.
- Remove rice from heat and stir in remaining coconut milk and cilantro. Set aside and cover to keep warm.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium. Add 2 tsp oil, and then half of the plantains. Cook until golden brown, about 2 min per side. Then press down on each plantain with the bottom of a glass until flattened. Add 3 tsp oil to pan and continue cooking until crisp, about 1 min per side. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate and sprinkle with ⅛ tsp salt. Repeat with remaining plantains, oil and salt.
- Serve plantains alongside rice and beans. Garnish with more cilantro, if desired.
Get the Jerk-Inspired Spice Blend recipe.
Ripe plantains usually have completely black skins, with deep-yellow insides. They’re sweetest and perfect for frying at this stage.