Roasted Sausages With Sweet Potato MashBy Chatelaine
This creative spin on classic sausages and mash features fresh thyme, sautéed apples and roasted walnuts.
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 4 mild Italian sausages
- 4 large shallots , halved
- 2 firm apples , such as Cortland, cored and cut into thin wedges
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1/4 tsp salt , divided
- 1/4 cup walnut , halves, chopped
- 3 medium sweet potatoes , peeled and cut into 1-in. cubes
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp 2% milk
- Position rack in centre of oven, then preheat to 425F. Boil a large pot of water.
- Heat a large oven-safe frying pan over medium-high. Add oil, then sausages. Cook until browned, 2 to 3 min per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Add shallots, apples and thyme to same pan. Sprinkle with ⅛ tsp salt. Season with pepper. Cook for 1 min. Return sausages to pan, pushing into apple mixture. Sprinkle with walnuts. Transfer pan to oven. Roast until
sausages are cooked through, about 20 min.
- Meanwhile, add sweet potatoes to boiling water. Cook, covered, until tender, 12 to 14 min. Drain, then mash with butter and milk. Stir in remaining ⅛ tsp salt. Season with pepper.
- Transfer sausages to a plate. Slice, if desired. Serve with sweet potato mash and apple mixture. Sprinkle with more thyme, if desired.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 22 g,
- 67 g,
- 48 g,
- 11 g,
- 1150 mg.