Young eyes will sparkle when they spy these colorful teensy burgers designed for small hands and tummies. Don’t be surprised if the kids hold a contest to see who can down the most! With young taste buds in mind, we’ve made seasonings optional.
This article has not been rated yet.
16 tiny burgers
- 500 g ground beef , or ground chicken
- 4 slices processed cheese
- 2 plum tomatoes , thinly sliced
- 1 bunch lettuce leaves
- 16 mini pita breads , each 2-in. in diametre
- Line a baking sheet with plastic wrap or waxed paper. Season meat with a sprinkling of salt and pepper, if you like. Form into burgers about 2 inches (5 cm) in diameter and at least 1/4 inch thick. Place on lined sheet. You should have 16 burgers. Cover with more wrap. For cooking ease and safety, immediately refrigerate until well chilled or freeze for up to 1 week. Cut cheese into small squares. Slice tomatoes. Tear lettuce into small pieces.
- When ready to cook, oil grill and preheat barbecue until very hot. Grill refrigerated or frozen burgers, turning once, until browned and well-done inside with no pink remaining, about 3 to 5 minutes per side for cold burgers and 8 to 12 minutes per side for frozen. Slash edges of pitas just enough to place burgers inside. Slide hot burgers into pitas, then tuck in a slice of cheese, tomato and lettuce. Serve with squeeze bottles of pickle relish and ketchup for the children to add to their burgers.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 7 g,
- 5.3 g,
- 5.4 g,