Updated Apr 7, 2017Patricia Green and Carolyn Hemming
- Preheat the barbecue on high.
- Combine the water and quinoa in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce a simmer, cover and cook for 13 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool completely.
- Whisk together the oil, lime juice, vinegar, honey, cumin, salt, cayenne and cilantro. Gently toss the avocado with the dressing and set aside.
- Place the cooled quinoa, red pepper, red onion and avocado in a medium bowl. Gently toss and set aside.
- Grill chicken breasts until they reach 170°F (80°C) on an instant-read thermometer. Remove from grill and set aside for 7 to 10 minutes. Slice into ½-inch (1 cm) slices.
- Place 3/4 to 1 cup (175 to 250 mL) shredded lettuce on each plate and top with the avocado mixture. Top with slices of chicken breast, tortilla pieces and shredded cheddar (if using). Serve immediately.
This zesty lime and creamy avocado salad is served on a bed of crisp lettuce. Top with crunchy tortillas and cheese, if desired. Just leave out the chicken for a vegetarian dish.
Ancient grains like amaranth, buckwheat and millet may not be pantry staples (yet!), but they’re all gluten-free, nutritious and delicious. The recipes in Grain Power introduce new tastes and textures into everyday dishes like Chicken on Lime Avocado Quinoa Salad, Caramel Apple Buckwheat Crêpes and to-die-for Lemon & Blueberry Ancient Grain Pound Cake.
Grain Power, Patricia Green and Carolyn Hemming, $32.