This article has not been rated yet.
* PLUS Cooking time: 60 minutes, Barbecuing Time: 14 minutes
pork side ribs
, about 2.5-kg total
, minced, or 1 tbsp bottled minced garlic
- Trim excess fat from ribs. Spareribs have a thin membrane running along bony side. It shrinks during cooking, causing ribs to curl, and remains tough and chewy. To remove, run a fork tine underneath membrane and lift fork to loosen. Grasp membrane firmly and pull. It should come off easily in one piece
- To tenderize ribs, fold or cut racks in half. Place in a large saucepan and completely cover with water. Cover and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer until tender, about 1 hour. (If not using right away, wrap and refrigerate or freeze. Ribs will keep well in the refrigerator for 2 days
- Stir oil with ketchup, Worcestershire, chili powder, sugar, cumin and garlic.
- When ready to barbecue, oil grill and preheat barbecue. Place cooked ribs on hot grill. Barbecue 5 minutes per side. Then generously brush or spoon sauce on both sides of ribs. Continue barbecuing until coating is hot and browned, from 2 to 3 more minutes per side. Serve any remaining sauce for dipping.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 28.8 g,
- 6.3 g,
- 31.6 g,
- 0.7 g,
- 269 mg.
Never underestimate the uses of ketchup. It’s a perfect base for a fast sweet-and-sour baste for spicy ribs