Chicken And Root Vegetable TagineBy Chatelaine
1 h 35 min
Fragrant saffron, hearty chicken and bulgur and a medley of root vegetables make this a warming all-in-one meal.
- 1/4 tsp saffron , strands
- 8 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs , excess fat trimmed
- 2 1/2 tsp salt , divided
- 1 tsp pepper , divided
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions , thinly sliced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 4 medium carrots , peeled and cut into 2-in. pieces
- 2 medium turnips , peeled and cut into 1/2-in. wedges
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup green olives , pitted
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- chopped parsley , (optional)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cups coarse white bulgur , rinsed and drained
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Position rack in centre of oven, then preheat to 450F.
- Tagine: Using a mortar and pestle, grind saffron threads into a powder. Combine with 1 cup hot water in a small bowl.
Set aside until ready to use.
- Sprinkle chicken on both sides with 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Heat a tagine or heavy oven-safe pot (with a tight-fitting lid) over medium. Add 3 tbsp oil, then half the chicken, skin-side down. Cook until skin is golden, about 5 min. Flip chicken. Cook 3 more min. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining chicken. Transfer to same plate.
- Add onions to same pot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5 to 7 min. Add garlic, cumin, turmeric, paprika, cinnamon, coriander and saffron liquid. Cook 1 min. Add carrots, turnips and beets. Sprinkle with remaining 1 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Stir to combine. Add 2 cups broth, then arrange chicken, skin-side up, over vegetables in a single layer.
- Bake, covered, 45 min. Uncover, then continue baking until chicken is cooked through and skin crisps up, about 15 more min.
- Bulgur: Meanwhile, heat a large saucepan over medium. Add 2 tbsp oil, then bulgur. Cook, stirring often, until just toasted, 1 to 2 min. Stir in 2 cups broth and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, until all liquid is absorbed, about 20 min. Fluff bulgur with a fork.
- Divide bulgur among four plates. Stir olives and lemon juice into tagine. Serve over bulgur. Garnish with parsley, if desired.